20th of August, 2016
St. Andrews Fairtrade Town Campaign – 10/8/16
Present: AM, MP, AC, MR, PR, LM, PM. We welcomed Lindsey Mackay, Sustainability Intern and chair of the University Fairtrade Steering Group
1. Apologies: PB, JC, CP
2. Matters arising
- Minutes from last meeting approved
- We noted the current situation in relation to Fife’s Fairtrade status. A meeting has been proposed for the autumn. We will be supportive of any initiative to relaunch a Fife-wide group.
- AC had contacted the St Andrews Guest Houses Association to get information about current use of Fairtrade products.
- JC had contacted the Fairtrade Foundation to discuss the issues of plantations, GMOs etc and circulated the resulting information. ACTION: ALL to read this
3. AGM business PM took the chair for the election of office holders. The following were nominated and elected unopposed:-
Chair PR Proposed MP, seconded AC
Vice chair JC Proposed PR, seconded AM
Secretary AC Proposed MR, seconded AM
Treasurer AM Proposed PR, seconded MP
4. Financial report – PR presented the year’s accounts. Balance £113.28. Scottish Fair Trade Forum is currently offering grants between £250 and £1000 for events linked to Burns Night, Hogmanay and St Andrews Day.
5. Plans for 2016/17
- Our overall aims were discussed. We agreed to support the University group’s activities, and to continue to promote the supply and use of Fairtrade products in the town, with a focus on working with schools and with business and golfing bodies. Some of this can be coordinated, eg working to promote Fairtrade with the R&A, the Links Trust and the BID.
- Schools: a Fairtrade Fortnight event or activity. LM to enquire at Kilrymont/Madras re interest in possible competition, smoothie making event, speaker (MP or Fairtrade producer). Also is there a teacher who would work with us? MP to discuss speaker options with JTS; PR to approach SFTF and Fairtrade Foundation. ACTION: LM/MP/PR
- Businesses: MP and LM to contact Ben Stuart to explore how we might fit in with BID’s aims. MP and JC to pursue contact with potential flagship employers. ACTION: MP/LM/JC
- Golf: AC to reconnect with the Links Trust to get up-to-date information about their commitment to Fairtrade in catering establishments and in the distribution of bananas during competitions. MP to keep in contact with the R&A. ACTION: AC/MP
5. University group plans for 2016/17, reported by LM
- The application for Fairtrade renewal status will be submitted by 19th Sept.
- The first meeting for this year to be announced soon.
- Stalls to be held at the Green Fayre 11-3 on 5th Sept and Freshers’ Fayre 10.30 – 4.30 on 11th Sept. AC to provide our remaining leaflets. LM to check on GK’s stock of leaflets.
- AC to write to Tesco St Andrews to check on current Fairtrade policy, especially re bananas, and to offer another certificate. ACTION: AC
- MR to provide a copy of our renewal certificate to the public library. ACTION: MR
- We thanked MP for all her work as chair of the group.
Next meeting: 7.30 Wednesday 2nd November at 52 Hepburn Gardens KY16 9DF